Houthi strikes on Yemen's Mocha port kill at least 7 as Saudi-Aramco facility hit

· Conflict YEMSAU
This story has developed since this wire. Read the latest wire

Houthi missiles and drones struck Yemen's Red Sea port of Mocha, killing at least seven people and wounding 30, including four soldiers, the Yemeni army said, after last week's assaults on government camps. Military defences intercepted 11 drones during the barrage, which also hit residential areas.

Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree said the group targeted a Saudi Aramco refinery in Jizan with a drone, and Saudi Arabia's energy ministry confirmed a fire was extinguished at the facility. UN envoy Hans Grundberg expressed deep concern over the Mocha attacks.

The escalation follows the Houthis' late-July declaration of a naval blockade on Saudi shipping in the Red Sea. Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan signed a mutual defence pact on Friday stipulating that an armed attack on any one of them constitutes an attack on all three.

Story development

  1. Houthis claim sinking of Saudi warship off Mocha as Yemeni army launches 181 strikes
  2. Houthi attack on Yemen's Mocha port kills eight, sets commercial ships ablaze
  3. Yemeni forces destroy Houthi explosive boats as UN warns of health system collapse
  4. Houthi strikes on Yemen's Mocha port kill at least 7 as Saudi-Aramco facility hit
  5. Yemeni forces launch multi-front offensive against Houthis after deadly strikes on Marib and Hadramout
  6. Houthi missile and drone attacks kill dozens of Yemeni government troops

Related stories