NATO says it is ready to defend allies after reports of Iranian strike plans in Europe

· Conflict USAIRNBGRCYPTUR
Part of Iran Threats in Europe

NATO says it is prepared to address any threat and will do what is necessary to defend all allies, after reports emerged that Iran has weighed strikes against U.S. military assets in southeastern Europe.

Iranian forces have reportedly considered targets in Bulgaria and Cyprus if the United States escalates attacks. Bulgaria's parliament approved the use of Bezmer Air Base as a U.S. refuelling station in July, and Interior Minister Ivan Demerdzhiev said all possible security measures had been taken. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi warned his Bulgarian counterpart that any party joining a military attack on Iran would bear responsibility. A NATO official said the alliance intercepted four Iranian ballistic missiles heading toward Turkiye this year.

The tensions follow a U.S.–Iran memorandum of understanding signed in June aimed at ending the war, but the deadline for a permanent agreement expired Monday. Donald Trump said Tuesday there were no ongoing or scheduled talks with Tehran.

Related stories