Israeli strikes kill at least eight more in Gaza as disarmament standoff deepens

· Conflict PSEISRUSA
This story has developed since this wire. Read the latest wire

Israeli airstrikes killed at least eight Palestinians across the Gaza Strip on Sunday, including families with children, after Hamas said it had accepted the final phase of a U.S.-backed peace plan. Helicopter and artillery strikes hit residential apartments in Deir al-Balah, Gaza City, and Khan Younis, killing couples and children, according to medical and civil defence sources. The toll brought the 24-hour death count to at least 13, following Saturday's attacks on medical infrastructure.

The violence continued despite U.S. President Donald Trump's Board of Peace publishing a 15-point roadmap to implement last year's ceasefire agreement. An Israeli official said there would be no withdrawal from current positions unless Hamas undergoes genuine disarmament, while National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir called the initiative unacceptable. Former senior Fatah official Mohammed Dahlan said Jared Kushner told him he was working with Israel to halt the attacks.

Story development

  1. Qatar, Egypt and Turkey condemn Israeli attacks in Gaza as ceasefire toll mounts
  2. Israeli strikes kill at least eight more in Gaza as disarmament standoff deepens
  3. Israeli strikes kill three in Gaza after Trump and Hamas announce ceasefire deal

Related stories