Wessex Water has announced its first hosepipe ban in 50 years, taking effect at one minute past midnight on Tuesday, 18 August, after drought restrictions had already spread across much of England. The utility, which serves around 1.4 million customers across Bath and parts of Somerset, Dorset and Wiltshire, said regional demand has consistently exceeded 400 million litres per day — 30 per cent above the seasonal average. Peak consumption hit 449 million litres on 11 July, a company record.
The restriction pushes the total number of people under hosepipe bans in England to more than 27 million, joining Thames Water, which imposed its ban on 23 July, and South West Water, which followed on 10 August. Wessex Water said it has invested more than £16 million in supply assets over the past three months.
Temperatures reached a year-high of 38.1C at Kew Gardens in London on Thursday, and a yellow heat health alert for the South East, South West and London has been extended until 9am Tuesday.