Trump and Tehran offer conflicting accounts of US-Iran negotiations

· Diplomacy USAIRN
Part of US-Iran Crisis

President Donald Trump said Sunday that Washington is conducting "low-key" negotiations with Iran over the Strait of Hormuz dispute, likening the situation to a "chess game." Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi flatly denied any talks are underway, warning that Tehran will not begin discussions if Washington continues violating a June temporary agreement.

The conflicting statements followed the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' release of six conditions for reopening the strait, including a full withdrawal of US military forces from the region, the lifting of all sanctions, and payment of war reparations. Trump, who previously stated the US is only negotiating partially with Iran, has privately discussed declaring "victory" without a nuclear agreement, according to the Wall Street Journal, citing damage from the June 2025 "Midnight Hammer" operation that he believes left Tehran unable to resume nuclear activities.

Trump said Thursday that the war would end "very soon", noting Iran's economy cannot sustain military payrolls.

Story development

  1. Trump and Tehran offer conflicting accounts of US-Iran negotiations
  2. Iran says Hormuz reopening hinges on US compensation and blockade removal
  3. Iran, Oman near toll-free Hormuz deal backed by Gulf states and U.S.
  4. Iran and Oman agree coordinates for new Hormuz shipping corridor, but approval and tolls remain unresolved
  5. Iran and Oman near deal on new Strait of Hormuz shipping route
  6. Iran launches drone attack on U.S. base in Kuwait, citing airstrike on civilian home
  7. Iran rejects Oman's Hormuz management plan, demands exclusive control of strait
  8. US intercepts Iranian missile barrage as interceptor stockpiles dwindle

Related stories