Iran will treat any country participating in US-led economic sanctions as an enemy and target American commercial interests worldwide, Mohsen Rezai, head of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, warned Saturday, escalating rhetoric after Tehran dismissed the new US pressure campaign as destined to fail.
Rezai told state television that nations joining Washington's economic war should distance themselves or face strikes on their interests. He said Iran had so far targeted only US military bases but would now strike American oil holdings and corporate assets in Iran and elsewhere. The warning follows the United Arab Emirates' decision to suspend all trade and financial transactions with Iran.
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, who pledged the measures would trigger the collapse of the Iranian government, is scheduled to detail further pressure on Monday, nearly six months after the US-Israeli offensive that launched the war. China criticised the sanctions push, arguing it would not resolve the Middle East conflict.