US and South Korea cut joint military drills short after Trump orders reduction

· Conflict KORUSAPRK
Part of US-Iran Conflict

South Korea and the United States will end their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises on Friday, cutting the drills short by nearly a week after President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in U.S. participation. The maneuvers, which began Monday, were originally scheduled to run through August 27.

Trump directed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to scale back the exercises, citing their cost and arguing they send a hostile signal to North Korea. The allies will complete the first phase focused on defensive readiness while the second phase involving counter-attack scenarios will be cancelled or postponed. A Pentagon representative said the adjustments preserve basic combat readiness objectives. South Korean President Lee Jae-myung stated the exercises do not demonstrate any intention to attack North Korea.

North Korea's state news agency KCNA condemned the drills on Wednesday, calling the allies "warmongers" and vowing to exercise its right to self-defense, without acknowledging Trump's order to reduce them.

Related stories

US and South Korea announce annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills amid evolving North Korean threats The United States and South Korea announced on Sunday that their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield joint military exercises will run from Aug. 17 to 27, involving app… North Korea denounces upcoming US-South Korea military drills as nuclear alliance threat North Korea has condemned upcoming joint military exercises between the United States and South Korea as a major provocation, warning that trilateral security c… Trump posts photo with Kim Jong Un, says North Korean leader responded to overtures U.S. President Donald Trump said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has responded to his diplomatic overtures, signaling a potential thaw as Washington scales back… Trump welcomes Saudi-Turkey-Pakistan defense pact as US military drills with Seoul face cuts U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday expressed strong satisfaction with the Mecca Mutual Defense Agreement signed earlier this month by Saudi Arabia, Turkey, a… South Korea arrests two former Chinese military members on espionage charges South Korean authorities have arrested two Chinese nationals, both former members of the People's Liberation Army, on suspicion of conducting military espionage… North Korea fires second suspected ballistic missile toward Sea of Japan in under a week North Korea launched a suspected ballistic missile from its east coast toward the Sea of Japan early Wednesday, marking its second such test in under a week aft…