Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office claimed responsibility for Tuesday's strike on a Syrian military airbase, saying Damascus was on the verge of violating a security status quo agreement by allowing Turkish troops to be stationed near Aleppo. Israel repeatedly warned that such a deployment would threaten its security and said it would welcome a return to the prior arrangement.
Turkey rejected the accusations, saying the claims were aimed at legitimising what it called illegal Israeli airstrikes. U.S. Ambassador and Special Envoy for Syria Tom Barrack confirmed Israel carried out the raids on a base in Idlib province, calling them an unnecessary escalation and urging dialogue.
Syria's foreign ministry condemned the attack and called on the U.N. Security Council to act. U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres said last month that violations of Syrian sovereignty are unacceptable. Israel has conducted hundreds of strikes in Syria since the ousting of Assad in December 2024.