Trump administration refunds $100bn in tariffs struck down by supreme court

· Business USA

The Trump administration has returned roughly $100bn to importers after the US supreme court ruled its broad "Liberation Day" tariffs unlawful, customs officials told the US court of international trade on Tuesday. The repayments account for about 60% of the $165bn collected under the policy before the court struck down the levies in February. Nearly $29bn in further refunds is under review, while $1.6bn remains held up because importers have not provided banking details.

A customs system launched in April had received more than 250,000 refund applications covering 25 million import entries by the end of July. Amazon received approximately $600m in refunds during the second quarter, its finance chief said.

The repayments come as Trump imposed fresh tariffs on more than 80 countries last month, replacing an expiring 10% universal duty with levies of up to 12.5%. A coalition of 25 states has sued to block the new measures.

Related stories