NASA has scrapped a $30 million mission to save the Swift space telescope from a fiery reentry, ending an effort that could have pioneered a model for rescuing other aging orbital observatories.
The agency and Katalyst Space Technologies announced the cancellation Wednesday after the Link rescue spacecraft entered an uncontrollable spin weeks after its early July launch from the Marshall Islands. Engineers spent weeks attempting to regain control but concluded the vehicle could neither capture Swift nor boost it to a safer orbit. Katalyst CEO Ghonhee Lee said the ambitious mission was assembled in under a year on an aggressive timeline.
NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman said the failure "does not change why this mission was worth attempting." Swift, launched in 2004, is now falling roughly 5 miles per month and is expected to burn up in the atmosphere by late 2026. A successful rescue had been seen as a precursor to a future mission targeting the Hubble Space Telescope.