Bomb on minibus kills two in Damascus suburb, first such attack since Assad's fall

· Conflict SYR

An explosion ripped through a passenger minibus in the Damascus suburb of Jaramana on Thursday, killing at least two people and wounding up to 14 others during the evening rush hour. A security official said an explosive device had been planted inside the minivan taxi, which was almost completely destroyed on Al-Rawda Street in the town centre. No group immediately claimed responsibility for the bombing, the first of its kind in Jaramana since the fall of the Assad regime.

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani condemned the attack on social media. The Health Ministry said forensic teams were working to identify human remains recovered from the scene.

The blast is the third apparent bombing in the Damascus area in just over a month, following attacks authorities blamed on the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. Jaramana, a majority-Druze town southeast of the capital, saw deadly sectarian clashes in early 2025.

Related stories